Re: Fuel Tank sender

To: "Nina Barton" <ninab@scoresheet.com>, <mhartwig@cbu.edu>,
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank sender
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:40:55 -0500
Nina,
  As you have seen in the diagram,  regulated power from the voltage
stabilizer comes into the fuel guage (light green/green wire), out from
the guage (green/black) to the fuel level sender on the tank, through the
sender, then out on the black wire to ground on the chassis.
  If your light dims and brightens as you move the float arm up and
down, that means that the potentiometer (variable resistor) is working.
The fact that grounding the green/black wire to the sender sends the
guage to 'full' means that the guage itself is working. ( Thats what the
potentiometer does when the tank is full.)  If the guage still reads empty
when moveing the float up & down, using the standard circuit, that means
that there is too much resistance in the circuit, and the current flow
through
the fuel guage never gets high enough for the needle to move off of
empty.
   The most likely culprit would be corrosion at the ground connector, or
in the ground leads from the tank sender to the ground point.  The
corrosion wouldn't be in the lead from the guage, because the guage
reads full scale when the wire to the tank sensor is shorted ( assumeing
your doing that at the tank).  Check that the spade lug ground connector
has good metal to metal contact with the chassis, and that the plug-in
connectors between the tank and the ground point are clean and free
of corrosion.
   Good luck...

Harlan.