stud question -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, tsherman@tecinfo.com
Subject: stud question -Reply
From: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:43:12 -0400
Get two nuts, twist them onto the end of the stud which will end up
sticking out.  Using two wrenches, tighten the nuts against each other
to lock them on.  Snug is good enough, you don't have to prove your
manliness to them.

Next, put a drop or two of Loc-Tite onto the threads the stud will screw
in to.  Start the stud into the threads, and when you can't turn it with
your hand, use a wrench on the outer-most nut.  Tighten it just like you
would a bolt of that size.  (If the nuts spin on the stud, you didn't
get them tight enough against each other.)

Again use the two wrenches to loosen the nuts.  Don't accidentally
unscrew the stud while you're doing this.

Let the Loc-Tite dry before you assemble things.

And thanks for asking a question I can answer.

Matt Kulka
'74 B

>>> Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com> 06/17/98 02:03am >>>
I was plastiguaging my main bearings today in my B, and when I was
removing one of the nuts to the main bearing caps, a stud came out with
the nut...