Re: stud question -Reply

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: stud question -Reply
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:11:11 -0400
Robert Allen wrote:
> I'd like to add that you should not torque studs downs. All you want
> to do is bottom them in the hole. You do not want them torqued as then you
> are merely trying to pull the block apart.

  That is correct.

  When you wrench a stud in hard, the resistance you feel at the
end is the last partial thread digging in at the bottom.

  It you now assemble the unit and torque up the stud, all of
the force on the fastener is on that final thread.

  If you just "snug" it in, all threads in the block are making
contact with the stud which distributes the load.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/