MGA fine tuning/thanks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA fine tuning/thanks
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 10:30:24 -0500
First of all thanks to everyone who has given input/help over the last few
weeks.  I find that the toughest part of any rebuild project is making the
use/don't use change/don't change decisions and the list wisdom helped with
these a whole bunch.

After one full day on the road,  I am getting closer tuning the A.  Last
night on the way home it was running so rich that it would not idle and
would belch smoke at initial acceleration.  I suspected dirty float needles
again but checking at home showed that they were sealing well.  I had to
eat quick and hit the road to Lindsay's softball game so I just pulled
three flats out of the mixture for each carb and took off.  The A ran much
better but still acted rich at idle.  Between games (double header) I
leaned it out two more flats.  Now it is running much better and will idle
for a reasonable period of time without loading up.  It needs less choke
cold than before the rebuild so I am probably still a little rich but then
again, I don't want to run it lean at top end and I am still not
comfortable that the SU needle is right with the new cam.  I will read the
plugs in a day or two and see how we are doing.

It's funny but, on initial startup,  the A did not really respond to carb
tuning very well.  I had the carbs adjusted all the way from full lean to
four turns (24 flats) out with no real effect.  Now that it has been
running for a day it is responding nicely to my tuning attempts.  Although
it has been a while since I have rebuilt an engine, I seem to remember this
phenomenon in the past too- that the motor seems to need some time before
it responds to tuning.  Has anyone else noticed this does the act of
rebuilding just render me temporarily (more) stupid?  Anyway it's working
better now so life is good!

Also, with all new gaskets and less blow by,  the A is virtually oil tight.
 Just a spot or two from the rear main after a hard run and sitting all
night.  Nancy is one happy camper about this as the garage and the pavement
in front of the house (where the A sits while I open and close its garage
door) is covered with oil spots and she felt this to be slightly
embarrassing although I have no idea why.

We are expecting some tough summer weather over the next few days- frequent
heavy downpours mixed in with hot, humid sunshine.  Between work and
softball I will have about 300 miles on the car by Monday.  I put Rain-X on
the windshield last night and put the sidescreens in the car so bring it
on!

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA