Re: Wide Whitewall tires

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wide Whitewall tires
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 18:40:34 -0700
>LOL...I take it no one likes these things?  Well, I did ask for
>opinions. :P
>
>After pricing some ($135 each), I think that chrome wire wheels would be
>cheaper and better looking.  More opinions?  Of course, I will have to do
>the conversion thing, but no biggie there.  :)
>
>Blake
>
>Blake,
>    From what I understand, there is one major drawback to chrome
>wire wheels - flex.  If you happen to hit a curb, pothole, or large
>speedbump at speed, wire wheels flex.  Chrome wires will occasionally
>lose a flake of chrome when this happens.  Paint will allegedly flex
>with the wheel, or WCS (Worst Case Scenario) you touch up your rims.
>    FWIW, I would die if I paid oodles of bucks for chrome rims only
>to see the first chip...Can any listers verify if this has happened
>to them?
>Mike Lishego

My B had chrome wires when I bought it 8 or 9 years ago. I still don't
see any noticeable flakes, and it's a daily driver, never-been-garaged
(poor thing). Haven't hit any curbs, either, though (not trying hard
enough?).

But I actually like the idea of steel wheels & whitewalls on a
stone-stock pull-handle B. FWIW the famous photo of the original factory
prototype has whitewalls, if I'm not mistaken.

Max Heim
'66 MGB
runs great, needs paint
Palo Alto CA