My MG can beat up your MG(modern sportscars)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: My MG can beat up your MG(modern sportscars)
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:53:50 -0400
I have a daily driven '67 MGB V-8 that will not beat a Viper.  It will do
140 mph if pushed out the back of a C5 at 28,000 feet.  Tough to get many
races straight down though.

It has a carbed 3.6 and has a decent wide ratio 5spd so 0-60's are
consistant 5 1/2 seconds and will do an easy 100 in 3rd.  But in 4th and
especially 5th you notice that it is a small cube motor.  Not really numb
but not stuffing you into the seatback either.

I have ran a few 5.0 Muskrats and so far it has been all wins....but I have
sense enough to hide from Buick Grand Nationals.

The MG is an absolute blast to drive, but it ain't a big block.  And a 3.9
only has a 3.700 bore compared to my 3.540 with the same stroke so the 3.9
is no torque monster either.  Woody has the answer, 296 cubes.

The MG's strong point is a strong light well handling chassis.  My car
scales out at 2050 pounds, about 700 less than a TR8.  About 1300 less than
a 5.0 Mustang.  That is cheap horsepower.  If you want to go fast cheap
clean out the trunk.

The MGB V-8 does not drive or feel like a modern sportscar, I never
expected it to.  It does not come cheap or easy either.  Why do it?  That
sucker makes me smile.  Every time I drive it.
Jack Emery
Glenburn Maine
'67 MGB V-8
many others