RE: Speakers again

To: "'Bryan Loy'" <paradise@icx.net>
Subject: RE: Speakers again
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:27:52 -0500
In regards to your request for oponions concerning speaker placement,
let
me tell you what I did.  I own a music store and have access to some pro
sound gear.  Soundtech makes a small 2 way speaker in a plastic housing,
model # ST5T.  I put these on the
floor behind the seats, point them up, and get a really good sound with
my
Kenwood deck.  The list price for a pair of these is
$199.90.  Usually I sell them for about $150.00/pr., give or take a few
dollars.  There are other companies that make the
same type speaker, these just happen to be the brand I carry.  One could
mount them to the floor I suppose, but mine don't slide
around at all.  Hope this helps.

        I'm familiar with the speakers you mention along with similar
offerings from other vendors (Bose 101, JBL Control 1, etc.), and with a
proper amount of power, I'm sure they sound great.
        The problem I see with your solution and that of Mike Lishego
(using a truck speaker box), is that it's too easy for someone to reach
in, grab them, and take off. I just bought my son a c.b. '74B, and the
first thing I told him was that, by and large, his car would not be
securable - and that he shouldn't invest a lot of money in a stereo for
a car that's going to be in an unsecured high school parking lot for
much of the time he's driving it. I just ordered a new top for him
yesterday, and felt it necessary to remind him that one knife slash
could make it a piece of scrap. Moral? Be careful who you piss off.
        As a result, I'm investigating plate speakers - those that only
require 3/4" or so behind whatever panel you mount them on, and a
pull-out unit for the dash that he could stow in the trunk.

Dan Pockrus
Systems Integration Engineer
Efficient Networks, Inc.
dpockrus@efficient.com