MG TC Wiring

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MG TC Wiring
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 10:50:33 -0400
Phillippe-

I had a similar problem with my '59 MGA (had to use hand signals for a
while).  If the TC's are anything like the A's (I believe they are), I'd
suggest the following -

1.  Get yourself a wiring diagram and tester - I suggest one with a
battery and bulb for use on "dead" circuits and one with just a bulb
that you can use on "hot" ones - make sure it's range includes 12 V.
I'd imagine someone on the list would send/fax you a wiring diagram.
The testers can be either made from wire and light bulbs or purchased.

2.  Check to see if the tail-lights work at all - ie. when head
(running) lamps are on and when turn signals work.   If not at both
times - may have a bad ground.  If the running lights work but the turn
signals don't - I'd focus in on those wires (I believe they were red &
white and brown & white on my A)  - check for continuity & power.  If
the turn signals work but the brake lights do not -  check for power at
the brake light switch.  On my A this is on the top of the "junction" -
the place where the line coming down from the master cylinder splits off
for the front and rear brakes.  There are two wires there.  One of these
should have power when the car is running.  I'd also check to see that
the switch works - I put my "dead" circuit tester across then and
stepped on the pedal - if the light goes on then the switch works.  If
the switch works and you have no power at the switch then you have to
work your way back up the circuit.  On the A's there is a signal relay
box on the firewall behind the heater box.  There are 8 wires that hook
into this - make sure they are all correct and connections are tight.  I
must leave you here as my problem was that the wire from the brake
switch to this relay box was broken.  The only evidence was a small ding
in the insulation but the "dead" circuit tester light did not go on when
the leads were attached to each end.  I bypassed it with another wire
thus appeasing Mowog and all the other minions of the Prince of
Darkness.

Make sure you check each connection in the circuit to make sure they are
tight.  My right side turn signals didn't work - one of the connections
had come loose.  This is not rocket science and it does not take a PhD
to figure this out (I find an advanced degree may be a drawback).  It
does take time, the above tools, a systematic approach and willingness
to get into places where no man has gone for several years.  You could
also start at the switch and work your way back.  The shop manual was of
little help  but the wiring diagram is indispensable.  It was really
satisfying to find and fix the problem.

Good luck.

ralph cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov