MGA hand brake

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA hand brake
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 10:57:24 -0400
Had a problem all spring with my MGA1600, it ran a few minutes and then
lost power. Finally traced it to clogged fuel filters at the tank (two had
been added ) Car now drives like a dream.

However the hand brake stopped working last summer. (No resistance on the
lever, lots of slack in the cable. I assumed a broken cable or a stretched
one, so I ordered a new one from Moss. Spent half a day yesterday
installing it, and what did it do, same thing. I can't figure out what's
wrong. I took up the adjustment all the way and can't get rid of the slack.
I drilled another hole in the frame and moved the cable stop (the one near
the adjustment) back an inch and a half, and still no tension on the cable.
The rear brakes are good and adjusted. the whole thing is beyond me. Any
ideas what is wrong?

Mike (who parks in First and always catches his clutch)