Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Valve adjustment...a few questions
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:27:16 -0500
Haha,
A couple of weeks ago I drove up to some of my co-workers, one of whom is
the Corvette freak, and let the car idle there. I'm currently missing the
hood insulation, and the B was happily clattering away at her 900 rpm idle.
It's VERY noticeable without the insulation, and they all joked and looked
at the car like they were waiting for the rockers to explode through the
hood... All the explanations in the world won't help you with folks who grew
up with American Iron, to which loose valves, lifters and rockers are pretty
BAD...hehe.
It was a gravel parking lot, and It took all the maturity this 31 year old
could muster not to say "seeya!" in  true American teenage fashion!
Dan

>Yep, that is pretty much the way it is. Once the valve clearences are set
the
>engine makes a lot more noise and that is a good thing.

>A fellow walks up besides me and says "Gee, from the sounds of things you
got a
>couple of lifters sticking." And I was thinking, from the quietness of
things, I
>was burning the exhaust valves up at a pretty good rate as I couldn't hear
near
>enough valves clicking.
>
>It's a matter of perspective.
>--
>Bob Allen, Kansas City, w/cool, solid lifter cars.
>"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed
ideas in
>the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." -- F.
Scott