Re: Turn Signals on a TC

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>,
Subject: Re: Turn Signals on a TC
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 18:34:41 -0400
At 01:15 PM 7/7/98 -0700, PHILIPPE TUSLER wrote:
>>Should've responded to the original message - but I had to check.  I
> think it was Phillipe Tusler who was asking about inoperable turn
> signals on his father's TC?  Someone responded that TCs did not come
> equipped with that feature - not so.  The EXU model (made specifically
> for export to the US) was equipped with turn signals - as well as
> bumpers.  Only 494 of these cars were made and imported.  If that's what
>< your dad has, it's pretty rare!
>
> I wonder how I can find out?   I understand that the British Heritage
>certidicates do not cover 'T' models.
> It's also entirely possible that this was a dealer modification, although
>the bakelite switch in the middle of the dash sure looks like factory
>placement.  The two rear lights are both Lucas, and the wiring to the
>lights comes right out of the loom.

>*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
>*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
>*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*

Does the car still have the "makers plate"? Is it a 1949? Does the "makers
plate say "EXU"?  The New England MGT Register can identify the car by the
serial number. The EXU had directionals that were bullet shaped  at the
rear, mounted on the gas tank sides. They had 7" rather than 8" headlamps
ala TD. They had bumpers similar but different then the later TD.

TCs were of course brought in the US after the war, but the first actual
factory export was not until 47. I have an original New York Times London
Bureau 1947  photo taken on a fog bound road  near Southampton, showing 50
cars being "driven" to the port from Abingdon with the caption " MGs for
America, export Dollars for Britain" The cars were going to California.

The success of the TC led to the 49 EXU, but they were still right hand
drive do to the set up of the Bishop Cam steering. The 1950 TD solved these
problems with rack and pinion steering making the production of left or
right hand drives much easier.

Mike