Re: price of MGTD

To: "Donna Swope" <dswope@ix.netcom.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: price of MGTD
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 20:04:07 -0700
A "basket case" TD which is complete (and you'll have to find someone with a
good TD book to look at if you don't know what a really complete, proper TD
looks like) is worth $4 to $5K, depending on the condition of the sheet
metal and the wood. Subtract incrementally if the engine is seized up, if
the instruments are missing, if the body is in really bad shape, etc.

A "restored" TD that has been done really well presently has a market value
about $15,000 less than it costs to do one properly! A restoration done by a
good shop that know what it's doing costs no less than $30 K and maybe as
much as $40K, depending on how much has to be replaced. However, really nice
TDs can be bought for $15K to $20K. The value of the restored one you are
looking at should be not less than $15K if it has been done properly.

What to look for? Straight body lines, doors that close perfectly and fit
really well, excellent paint and chrome, perfect interior and top, an engine
that starts easily and runs quietly with not less than 35lbs oil pressure at
idle. (No smoke of any color, of course.) New wiring, matching and
new-looking instruments, brakes that stop the car quickly and in a straight
line with a nice, firm pedal. New tires. I could go on and on........

In my shop's thinking, a "restored" car is just like a brand new one, so
judge from there!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
www.britcars.com
(where there is an outstandingly nice red TD available for about $18K)