New Owner with problems already!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New Owner with problems already!
From: "Don Olan" <dolan@macn.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:18:38 -0700
Greetings to the group;

I just brought my "new" 1979 MGB LE home yesterday and spent all day today
playing under the hood.
I now have turn signals, brake lights, brakes (pinched servo hose), and a
radio.
HOWEVER, the cooling sersor switch (or whatever it is called) doesn't seem
to work. The fan will run in bits and starts as I wiggle the switch, and
the housing that it plugs into, (probably the switch?) that goes into the
rad is loose. It comes out very easily leaving a rather large hole in the
radiator, (not good says I)
Question 1: Is it supposed to be soldered into the radiator? If not, what
keeps it, and the antifreeze, in the rad?
Question 2: If the switch is buggered, can I make the fan run by shorting
across the two terminals on the green and green/black wires?

I'm dying to take in out on the road before the weather gets bad.
Thanks for any info you can help me with.
:-}
Don Olan
'63 Hillman Minx
'80 MGB LE (#174 of 250)