Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: "Philip Hubbard" <phubbard@carroll.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 12:39:50 -0500
Philip,
   I suspect your blue sticky substance is the same
thing as the 'redish orange' sticky substance on the
back of my pad's.  It's an anti-squeel material to keep
the pads from squeeling when the dust from the brake
material gets in there during use.  It's nothing to worry
about if properly installed ( aka there isn't supposed to
be any of it on the sides of the pistons, just a thin coat
on the back of the pad where it make contact).
   You shouldn't have to drain the reservoir, unless its
over filled of course.  There should be an air space at
the top for expansion.  There should just be a little free
play between the master cylinder rod and the peddle
so the rod can fully return when released.
   One thing you didn't mention is the type of brake
fluid you used when you rebuilt the system. On his site
Twist mentions a problem when using silicone fluid
with the rubber seal on the master cylinder swelling
from the silicone, not allowing the piston to fully retract
and therefore not exposeing the bleed hole for the
fluid pressure to equalize when the brakes are
released.  He also mentions a fix if this is the case,
you might want to check it out.

Good luck,
Harlan.