Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Brakes - Blue Sticky Substance?
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:38:56 -0400
Many thanks to several folks who posted info on the blue sticky stuff being
an anti-squeal arrangement.  I'll leave it for now, but know that I can
remove it if other things don't work.

I've considered this (taking to a shop to finish the job) very carefully
and may come to doing it.  I'm not quite fed up with my brake "struggles",
but I would like to be driving the car with a clear conscience about the
brakes.  :)  I'm enjoying learning the various possible fixes for my
current problems and want to try out the things I can do to see if I can
get things going.  If I don't, then I don't mind paying a little to clear
up the problem.

Looks like I have the following to go:

check push rod at master cylinder for a bit of free movement
check brake light switch for enough free movement
dirt between rotor and hub
driving enough to get the new brake pads set in properly
clean up the anti-squeal material

Thanks to everyone who gave input on this problem so far.  I'm especially
glad to hear that I don't have to drain the brake fluid to check the mc
push rod.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget