Re: Grabbing Brakes

To: car@intersatx.net
Subject: Re: Grabbing Brakes
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:24:00 EDT
On Sun, 12 Jul 1998 10:09:34 -0500 Carol <car@intersatx.net> writes:
SNIP SNIP
. I think you hit upon your problem with
>the
>"blue stuff." Let's see what sort of replies you get on that one.
>
>I'm wondering what that gooey blue stuff is... Could somebody have
>tried to
>shortcut the O-rings that go into the calipers with some sort of
>gasket
>material?

 It is most likely a commercial anti-squeal compound that many mechanics
put on disc pad backing plates as a matter or "habit". In fact, some
American car replacement pads come with a small tube to the gunk for the
DIYer.
 On our cars, though, the pad backing plate usually has a coating that
looks like a thin coat of black rubber molded onto the backing plate,
that is supposed to take the place of the anti-squeal compounds. Works
pretty darned good too.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget