Lurker question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lurker question
From: "Berrie Watson (ADM)" <bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:46:45 -0400 (EDT)
I consider my life to have meaning, as I am younger than most (27) and
have obtained a running MGBGT that no longer has to be my daily driver -
and can be thrust into the privileged 'restoration in progress status'.
I have a overheating question...

A little background:  I have flushed the cooling system, taken the
radiator off and flushed it, replaced the water pump, and am running a
60/40 coolant mix.  I replaced my temperature sending unit, and am still
running between the N and redline on my temp guage.  The thermostat is
correct for the car.

My timing is advanced to smooth running without pinging, but my valves are
tighter than normal, at .012 engine cold.  At .015 cold (as stated in the
manual) I have two valves that seem extremely noisy, and I can hear them
even at 50-60 mph.  I have had a valve job within the past 6 mo.  My
compression readings are close on all cylinders.  I have a perhaps
irrational fear that if I loosen my valves and not worry about the noise,
I might throw a valve or something tragic.   A) Will loosening the valves
improve my heating problem?  B) is the excessive noise normal... or should
I have my head checked (no pun intended)?  I have already replaced by rod
bearings, and am sure that it is not a rod bearing problem (noise
definately comes from the valves, doesn't decrease when I remove spark
from the cyl.

Any comments are appreciated... It's great to be in the company of those
who love LBC's even when they are 'high maintenance'!

                                        Berrie C. Watson
                                        Assistant in Campus Computing
                                        USF St. Petersburg Campus
                                        bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu