Re: MGA - Coolant overflow and recovery

To: "Eric R. Stephen" <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: MGA - Coolant overflow and recovery
From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:29:39 -0500
At 03:17 PM 7/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I scavaged a coolant overflow unit off a Mazda in our local recycled car
>lots (junk yard).  I hooked this up to the overflow pipe on the radiator
>neck hoping to avoid the constant loss of antifreeze I have been
>experiencing from the moment I purchased the MGA last spring.  The
>radiator currently has a 7PSI cap.  The coolant recovery system is
>recovering fluid overflow but the system is not sucking the fluid back
>into the radiator when the engine cools.  I have to physically remove
>the antifreeze from the overflow unit with a turkey baster (dedicated)
>and add it back into the radiator. The overflow tube was flared and
>soldered on the neck end and is air tight (vacuum check). What am I
>doing wrong??
>
>Eric

Eric-

I didn't want to post this response - but figured the obvious is sometimes
overlooked.  Is the vent tube routed down into the bottom of the bottle?

If so - my second guess is that the pressure cap isn't sealing well on the
top edge of the radiator opening.  There are two seals on the rediator cap -
one that seals in the "throat", below the overflow vent, and one on the
undeside of the cap - which seals on the very top of the radiator opening.
When the fluid/gas pressure in the radiator exceeds the rated relief
pressure, the spring-loaded plunger lifts up and allows water and steam to
exit the vent line, and then re-seats.  On cooldown, the lower pressure in
the radiator tries to suck some air or water back in.  If the cap isn't
sealing well, the air comes in from there rather than lifting the column of
water from the overflow bottle.

Good luck.

Rich Mason
'73 MGB