Stupid Engine Tricks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stupid Engine Tricks
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:29:07 -0400
Okay, I am a newcomer when it comes to engine work, however, I have some
(hopefully) simple questions.

I've got a 78 B - engine sat since 1985. Needless to say, the rings are shot.

In the VB catalog, they have what are called "side covers" with a breather
pipe. Oil is coming out of this pipe. At idle, a faint smoke rises from
under the oil cap, and out of this pipe. The pipe connected to the air
filter on my Weber DGV carb. I have since removed the air filter and put it
down near the front of the engine, so oil does not leak onto my header or
into my carbs (as it was doing when it was attached) and foul my engine.

When I rebuild the engine, will this problem go away? Am I better off
finding an older (early 70s) engine and installing it? I loathe the lack of
power that the 78 has.

Right now I am running a Weber, pretty much no smog equipment, and straight
exhaust (with a cherry bomb muffler at the end).

Should I get a crossflow head or bore the engine to 1900cc? What else can I
do to get more "juice" from the engine?

BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven