70 MGB GT - Front Suspension Rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 70 MGB GT - Front Suspension Rebuild
From: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 07:40:50 -0600
When my parts arrive, I will be tackling a rebuild of the front suspension.
Everything (dampers, coils, bushings, wheel bearings) will be replaced
except king pins and their bushings which seem to be tight.  How should
I clean the gunk from the A-arms, etc. and should I paint the A-arms and
coil pan?  Anything else to be painted?  What type of paint should I use?

My steering wheel has about #"-3/4" of play.  Does that warrant a look
at, and if so, what can I do while I've got the front end dissambled?  I
don't anticipate removing the entire suspension assembly from the
frame/body.

For those that have time to reply, please provide detailed instructions
with any suggestions.  I'm still learning.  Art P. - I have your front
suspension write-up.

This list is probably the only reason I am able to own an MGB.  Without
the sound advice (and occasional humor) I receive from you all, a
mechanically-challenged person like myself would be hard-pressed to
understand WHAT to do - much less HOW to do it.  I find myself following
instructions from you all more so than I do the manuals.  Thanks a lot for
allowing me to play.

I saw a maroon '70-71 roadster with temporary plates just north of
Yellowstone National Park last Saturday morning.  Off and on rain with
the top down.  We were in the Voyager - I waved but no response.
Anyone on the list?  Its sort of an event when we see one out here.

Again, thanks to all for their adive and recommendations - Gary