Re: 70 MGB GT - Front Suspension Rebuild

To: Gary Davis <GDAVIS@ibr6gw80.gp.usbr.gov>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 70 MGB GT - Front Suspension Rebuild
From: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 19:45:10 EST
When my parts arrive, I will be tackling a rebuild of the front suspension.
Everything (dampers, coils, bushings, wheel bearings) will be replaced
except king pins and their bushings which seem to be tight.  How should
I clean the gunk from the A-arms, etc. and should I paint the A-arms and
coil pan?  Anything else to be painted?  What type of paint should I use?

Gary,
    When I refurbished my front end, I cleaned all the metal surfaces
with a wire brush, either on a drill or by hand.  For the heavy
gunk, a small putty knife works well.  I painted the A- arms, spring
pan, steering link, crossmember, and fender well with gloss black
rustoleum - my car is going to be a daily driver so i didn't want to
dump too much money into a powder coating, though it is more durable
than paint.  Oh yeah, I also sprayed the brake dust shield flat
black.

For those that have time to reply, please provide detailed instructions
with any suggestions.  I'm still learning.  Art P. - I have your front
suspension write-up.

Be prepared to spend a few days at it if your bolts are rusty.  I
used an electric impact wrench and still lost time when I had to cut
bolts off.

This list is probably the only reason I am able to own an MGB.  Without
the sound advice (and occasional humor) I receive from you all, a
mechanically-challenged person like myself would be hard-pressed to
understand WHAT to do - much less HOW to do it.  I find myself following
instructions from you all more so than I do the manuals.  Thanks a lot for
allowing me to play.

Hey, I'm in the same boat.  You can only get so much info from
manuals and by trial and error.  Learn to pick out the names of the
people who know their stuff (you know who you are!) and read their
posts, regardless of if the info applies to your car.  I think this
list accounts for a ton of money saved and a great number of MG's
still on the road.  Thanks!

Mike Lishego