RE: MG 98- (MORE) long, potentially boring and probably vacuous MATERIA

To: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MG 98- (MORE) long, potentially boring and probably vacuous MATERIAL FROM A DIFFERENT AUTHOR!
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:20:54 -0400
Nice tale Doug, However I have a few corrections/additions:

>Larry and I agreed that we would install CBs (that's Citizen Band Radio) to
>communicate with each other while driving.  It was only a marginal success
>as
>it was very hard to understand what was being said over the wind noise.  But
>all-in-all, it served a useful purpose and the term "Pee", used by Larry on
>several occasions, could be differentiated from the other most frequently
>used
>term - "what?".
Huh? was not heard nearly as often.

>Undeterred, we continued along our way in octagonal bliss.  I was impressed
>that Larry's Midget seemed to cruise at a comfortable 70mph - there were a
>few
>times where I lost sight of him in the rear view mirror but I think this is
>because Larry needed to adjust his tonneau.  BTW, Larry has this great
>system
>for keeping the passenger side tonneau taught - he keeps a collapsible
>chair,
>and some other odds and ends, on top of it!
A comfortable 70 is about what we did on the BRP trip last year. The car
runs about 4200 RPM at that speed so it is a little high (i want a 5
speed). I learned the weight on the top of the tonneau trick last year
when I stuck a portable radio up there to listen to some tunes on the
road. The dash radio hasn't worked since 1990 and I haven't really seen a
great need to replace it. I Like the road/wind/engine noise. Just when
you go on a long trip it gets a little old.

SNIP

>with oil - it ends up on the front of Larry's
>Midget!  Anyway, no problem, I had glass cleaner and body detailer that
>cleaned up most of it - anyway, we found David D. spontaneously waxing the
>engine hood on Larry's car a few hours later and he made it shine like new -
>it's good to have a guy like Dave around.
Unfortunately David was blinded by the reflection and had to stop on the
way to the Hotel after the show ;-) I'm still a little disapointed he
didn't do the whole thing. Guess I'll have to do that this weekend.

>The trip home was fortunately, uneventful.  I headed out about 4:30 pm and
>passed about 50 MGs on Route 70 prior to heading north on Route 81 - you
>were
>all looking good and I was sorry to have missed the day's evening events - I
>was very tempted to just get in line and head off to the banquet with the
>rest
>of you but ....
Got a good one for you. Just prior to when you passed me on the way up 70
I had a little MG incident. I was third in line of 4 cars in a group.
David D., Mike Robson (Congrats again on the 3rd in class), me, and Adam
D. Cruising along happily as could be when all of a sudden I blinked and
my right contact lens stuck and slid out onto my lash. Thank goodness I
had shades on or ??? I grabbed it with my finger and tried to decide what
to do (I stuck it in my mouth so it would at least stay wet). I figured I
might be able to get to the hotel like that but I could hardly see the
road. I pulled over and Adam sailed past with a puzzled look on his face.
By the time I gotten to a complete stop 2 B's were pulling up in front of
me asking what was wrong, at least one or two more MGs stopped behind me.
When I told the first guy to ask what was up he laughed and said the guy
in front of him is an optomitrist!! Well this guy jumps out reaches into
the boot and comes back towards me carrying a bottle of saline. I wet the
ol' contact down and with their hands blocking the breeze I got it right
back in. By then David had backed up on the parking lane all the way to
our spot on the side of the road. He just rolled his eyes and away we
went.
Great people these MG drivers. By the time I got going again about 6 cars
had stopped to help, plus David, Adam and Mike.

>One last thing,  Larry and I came up with this brilliant idea - display our
>online badges in the windshield next to the show ID placard to garner online
>votes. This strategy failed us as neither drove home with awards.

I would like to second that idea. If you don't have a badge and go to
shows, maybe we can talk Dave Houser into making some for the rest of the
list.

Also, I would like to second Mike R's suggestion about a survey of
occupations. While catching some fresh air at the dance after the banquet
in a little group were: A financial expert (Rick B), a tugboat captain
(Jim something), a transportation expert (Mike R) and a computer guru
(me). With that kind of variety in such a little group it would be
interesting to find out wht the rest of this gang does.
I'll volunteer to tally the results. Send me an email with the subject as
"Occupation" and I'll gather the info for about 2weeks and see where we
are. If you think of an overall category add that. I will also repost
this as a single post for those that skip long posts as a rule.

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu