Re: Pontiac engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pontiac engine
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:37:12 -0600
Rich:

Well, I have a 2.8 liter MPI V6 and auto-OD (ex-Camaro) in my formerly
parts-car-rusty MGA Coupe. Works really well with a Mk2 4.1:1 diff and
Twin-Cam disk brakes front and rear. With 195/70-15 tires there is an
occasional traction problem as I don't have a limited-slip diff. On the
other hand - Bill Spohn is right - 0 to 60 is about 7 sec, give or take
a bit depending on traction.

I also agree with him on the Pontiac 2.5 liter (151 ci) engine - it is
not a great candidate for a transplant into any kind of MG. I had a 1984
Fiero with this engine (no V6 available at that time) and it was OK for
driving around but there wasn't much power. It reved up to about 4000
rpm easily but ran out of steam soon after, which was fine as the red
line was ~4800 rpm.

Dave Q.

>>From: WSpohn4@aol.com

<<<Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, comments, or name-calling to offer
on
the subject of installing a Pontiac 151 and auto-trans to a Midget or
MGB?
No need to go into the 'Originality v. Modification' debate -- I
probably
wouldn't listen anyway......    : )
Rich>>>

I believe the engine you refer to is the one used in the Fiero. If so,
it is a
woofer of major proportion. It puts out all of 90 bhp, redlines just
above
4500 rpm, and as I recall runs out of poop above 4000. Not an
improvement over
the original IMHO.
They also need a different botttom end for performance - the SD blocks,
cranks
and pistons are all different.

If you must put a Pontiac engine in, (and I don't advocate it), why not
use
the 60 deg. V6, also used in the Fiero. 140 bhp, and gives a 2600 lb car
0-60 of around 7.5 secs. Think about what it would do in a 2100 lb car.

Then if you really want to go crazy, you could replicate the 3.2 litre
turboed
engine I use in my Fiero and more than double the horsepower, but I'm
not sure
how you would get it to the road.

Bill S.<<