Re: B Flywheel Lightening and Plans

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: B Flywheel Lightening and Plans
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 22:44:06 -0600
Dan:

While the engine is out, do EVERYTHING you can. It isn't difficult to
tear it down, especially if the head is going to be done anyway. It just
makes sense to freshen up the rings and bottom end: MGA/MGB rod bearings
are notorious for only lasting in the order of ~50,000 miles. And if the
crank needs to be turned - do it now, don't wait for later failure.

Dave Q.
As and Bs

>>From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>

<snip>

I'm interested to know everyone's thoughts on flywheel lightening for
the B.

I'm going to rebuild the head while I have the engine out, and maybe
renew
the rings too. (Compression reads 135, 117, 137, 135 front to back, wet
and dry)
I'm seriously considering Burgess' suggested porting to increase the
efficiency of the head. Otherwise, based on what Burgess says, I'll
probably
leave the cam alone. The bottom end is behaving quite well other than
the
leak at the rear which has precipitated the demise of the clutch. I
don't
THINK I need to crack the case at this point. Am I right?
TIA

Dan
'73 B<<