Re: Baby oil vs. Armor-all

To: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Baby oil vs. Armor-all
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:01:32 +1000
At 10:14 pm 16/07/98 EST, Mike Lishego wrote:
>Hello all,
>    I've heard it said a few times on the list that Armor-all will
>shrink most vinyl, such as convertible tops, dashs, etc.  I _think_
>that someone on this list might have recommended using baby oil
>instead, but don't quote me on that...
>    So, i picked up a bottle of baby oil today and used it on my non-
>lbc service vehicle.  The results are stunning, it's the first time
>I've ever seen my reflection in a padded dash!
>    My question:  has anyone used baby oil for a long time, such as a
>period of years?  Does it have any adverse side effects I should know
>about before I lube up every vinyl surface I own with it?

Mike,

I think that was me who recommended baby oil and I did it because an
upholsterer told me that Amorall was his greatest source of business,
especially for vinyl.  Baby oil is mainly lanolin, which is derived from
wool.  While suitable for leather I think there are probably better
products such as the Connolly hide dressing.

The only downside is that it takes a while to be absorbed by the vinyl
surface but it all goes away eventually

regards,

Graham
97 MGF