Re: Tires sizes for a MGB / ground clearance

To: MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu
Subject: Re: Tires sizes for a MGB / ground clearance
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 00:25:05 EDT

>     I was thinking about something like 185 - 70 R14, 175 - 70 R14,
>  or 185 - 60 R14.  What does anyone else with stock wire rims run?
>  I'd like a 'meaty-looking' tire, but not balloons.  Anyone care to
>  solicit opinions?

Mike:

The most popular size by far is the 165-R14 which translates to 165/82-R14. I
bought 175/65-R14 Michelin XGT4s at Sams Club for $60 apiece. These are 1.4
inches smaller in diameter than the 165-R14s and it is noticeable. I am very
satisfied with the Michelins, but next time I will go with 165-R14 for the
extra ground clearance. The extra seven tenths of inch would help on those
over zealous speed bumps and tall driveway curbs. My muffler clamp has kissed
pavement on several occasions. I have to kick my passenger out before I enter
or leave my driveway. You can guess I have a chrome bumper car. My car
originally had 185/75-R14s when I bought it, definitely balloons but good for
that darn driveway curb. I know we want our sport cars low, but it's nice to
keep the muffler attached.

BTW, stick with stock exhaust components. A kludge from the local discount
muffler shop will probably hang down several inches lower than original. I
know this thanks to my DPO.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336