RE: Hazards fixed, now blinkers on blink--NEVER MIND!

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: RE: Hazards fixed, now blinkers on blink--NEVER MIND!
From: Scott McKorkle <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 21:59:48 -0700
Sometimes the simplest fixes are the hardest to find!

The PO switched the light green/brown wire from the hazard flasher with the
light green/brown wire from the turn indicator.  This allowed the turn
indicator to run off the hazard flasher unit, but didn't allow the hazard
flashers to run off the turn indicator flasher unit.

Why would said PO have done this??  We'll never really know, but I can hazard a
guess (pun intended).  The hazard switch was broken.  So too(I discovered
tonight), was the turn indicator flasher unit.  Switch wires... quick fix for
the blinkers.  He/she probably figured the hazards weren't really needed anyway.

At any rate, thanks again for your help!

Regards,
Scott

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998,  wrote:
>Dan,

Per your excellent advice, I was able to fix my faulty hazard flashers.  As you
guessed, there was power on the light green/brown wire at the hazard flasher,
but no power at the switch end of the same wire.  I replaced the entire wire
and now have fully functioning hazard flashers.

But...  my turn indicators quit working at this precise moment in time.  With
the key on, and the turn indicator stalk up or down, nothing happens.  The
indicators don't light up and they certainly don't flash.

I then disconnected the light green/brown wire from the hazard flasher unit,
thinking this would restore things to "pre-fixed" condition.  Wrong!  Now
nothing worked--no indicators or hazards (of course, I knew the hazards
wouldn't work!!)

What gives?  I tried jumpering across the indicator flasher unit, just to make
sure I didn't fry it.  The indicators still didn't light up.  Is it possible
that the PO had routed the light green/brown wire from the hazard flasher to
some other place in order to "eliminate" the hazard switch from the circuit?
If so, where might he/she have routed it?  I'll try to figure this out tonight,
but I'm guessing I'll need more guidance to get this one solved.

Thanks for your continuing help!

Regards,

Scott McKorkle

1978 MGB