Re: Wire Wheel Powder Coating??

To: skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Powder Coating??
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 01:07:01 EDT
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:57:36 -0700 Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
writes:
>Someone posted a few weeks (?) ago about their wire wheel saga and I
>remember it ended with the gent taking his wires for a dry strip and
>powder coat.
>
>Can the person responsible please stand up!
>
>Actually my questions are pretty simple:  I take it you didn't get the
>inner rim bit (where the tube sits) or the inside bit where it goes on
>the
>hub coated.  How/Did you prepare those areas?  Q2: how much did you
>pay?(its getting personal now)
>
>*sigh* tire trouble...... yes, I will check to see if they are true
>before I bother...  if you want the whole tortured story I'll be
updating my
>web site real soon
>
>Cheers
>Skye

Guilty! - it was me! (though im sure lots of others have done it too)
The splined parts of the hubs were not powdercoated though they were
primed,
I dont know how the powdercoater masked them but they fit just fine.
Total cost for drystripping, powder and clearcoat was $410 for a set of
five
($110 for the stripping and $30 per coat per wheel) - the clearcoat is
optional but recommended.
They look terriffic and are as easy to clean as a teflon frying pan!

however......

The wheels were intended for my 69 once its finished but i couldnt wait
and put them on my GT - just HAD to see and try them! - so i spent a day
cleaning the GTs former wheels (they looked clean but youd be surprised
what you get off with a toothbrush and wheel cleaner!) I then masked the
tyres, sprayed them inside and out with
"chrome" spray paint then clearcoated them with Nyalic - they are now
very similar to the powdercoated wheels with a  slightly more hammertone
finish but of course it cost about twelve  bucks instead of $410
I have yet to find out if the finish is as durable or easy to clean as
powder after road use but the look is perfectly acceptable and certainly
worth a try before you take them to the strippers (I tried to think of a
better way to put this but i guess we need a few tassle jokes!) The worst
that can happen is you use a saturday, twelve bucks worth of paint, screw
them up and THEN get them stripped!!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT