Rip Van MGB Starts to Snore...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rip Van MGB Starts to Snore...
From: Charles N Horton <carolus@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:38:19 EDT
     In my search for a project MGB, it looks like I've found one.
It's a '65 with 130k miles (I may name it Methuselah?) but it's all
there. It has sat for 20 years, more or less (the owner claims 8, but
the inspection sticker says '78 and I suspect cops aren't amused by
12 year old stickers!). There is minor rust and some rather amateurish
putty bodywork (thankfully he didn't play with the welds AFAIK!) but
it's been garaged ever since he stopped driving it.
     It would be mine for $500 including two extra wire wheels,
a master & slave cylinder for the brakes, some chrome trim, and
hopefully a spare engine/transmission. (He had 5 engines and 7
transmissions... most of which have already found a home).
     It looks, to my rather inexperienced eye, like a good deal.
(Comments?) It has the pull-handle doors, which I gather are somewhat
uncommon.
     What I need to know is how I go about trying to bring this puppy
back to life. I vaguely recall a web page about this, but I can't find
the URL. I also remember snippets of an old discussion when someone
went through this... Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders, remove the
valve cover and pour a quart of oil over the valves, oil change, gas
change? A decent battery, of course. AFAIK this car was not "properly"
mothballed, just parked one day.
     The guy's wife sounds none too sad that this car is going on its
way... :)

Thanks for the help!
Charles.