Re: Cleaning electrical contacts

To: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cleaning electrical contacts
From: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:51:51 EST
 For the male side I would try a very
fine emery cloth.  For the female side I am not so sure.
What do other people do to clean their contacts?

--
William M. Gilroy
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com

William,
    I use a very fine emery cloth also, or a small, fine file.  Some
folks have recommended using a scotch-brite green pad, whatever that
is.  They say it will remove only the corrosion, leaving all the
metal, whereas sanding removes a small portion of the metal itself.
For the female side, I started by unfolding the connector as much as
possible, then using a small flat file to clean the connection area.
After breaking two or three connectors and ripping my fingertips to
shreds, I gave up on that method.  It seems that by crimping the
female end so it is ver tight with the male connector you can achieve
good results, as the sliding metal will clean itself!  But that's
just my observation...I'd be interested in hearing a better way of
doing this, without simply buying new connectors!

Mike Lishego