What is a Landcrab (was NAMGBR question)

To: drded@ix.netcom.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: What is a Landcrab (was NAMGBR question)
From: MGMagnette@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 10:05:13 EDT
A Landcrab is the 1800 series sedans made by BMC.  Basically it was BMC's
largest front-wheel drive car to that day, and supposively took all the
knowledge of Issnosigis and all the excellent traits of the 1100/1300 and the
Mini and made a bigger car.  Stupidly though, it also used 1100/1300 doors and
came out rather repulsive!  You could get Austin/Morris/Wolseley and Riley
versions of the same car.  (Personally I think it would have made a great
"MAGNA" to go with the "Magnette")  They were capable but ugly.

   The name landcrab came from a race where the cars had a tendancy to go
sideways, but any better knowledge of source of term "Landcrab"?  I assure you
it never appeared onthe bootlid.
   John