Re: What is a Landcrab (was NAMGBR question)

To: MGMagnette@aol.com
Subject: Re: What is a Landcrab (was NAMGBR question)
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:27:09 -0700
MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:

> A Landcrab is the 1800 series sedans made by BMC.  Basically it was BMC's
> largest front-wheel drive car to that day, and supposively took all the
> knowledge of Issnosigis and all the excellent traits of the 1100/1300 and the
> Mini and made a bigger car.  Stupidly though, it also used 1100/1300 doors and
> came out rather repulsive!  You could get Austin/Morris/Wolseley and Riley
> versions of the same car.  (Personally I think it would have made a great
> "MAGNA" to go with the "Magnette")  They were capable but ugly.
>
>    The name landcrab came from a race where the cars had a tendancy to go
> sideways, but any better knowledge of source of term "Landcrab"?  I assure you
> it never appeared onthe bootlid.
>    John

LANDCRABS, They used the five main bearing 'B' series, and was the
reason BMC could afford to give such an engine to the MGB, the 18GB
unit. I use to drive the ADO17 as it was known, as taxis in the early
1970's ( as an extra job...) they handled well, and were HUGE inside.
Like the little 1100/1300 cars, they rotted like the clappers.

The late 1800S engine has a very good cylinderhead, often pinched for
the MGB, casting number 12H2708 with a 37cc combustion chamber, ( MGB
and Marinas were 43.5cc,) and a huge inlet valve. Gave out 96bhp, 107
lb.ft torque, and moved the large saloon to 106mph.

Neil.