Re: Lucas troubles - Starter removal

To: danray@bluegrass.net
Subject: Re: Lucas troubles - Starter removal
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 01:35:53 EDT

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:09:31 -0500 "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
writes:
>Simon,
>You didn't mention what type of MG you have (you BAD lister! haha),
>but I'm
>really wondering which ones require the removal of the distributor!
>(if it's
>a B) For my own education, of course.
>The manuals say to do this, but I found it quite simple on my '73 B to
>loosen both bolts, then remove the top one, then climb underneath,
>remove
>the bottom bolt and remove the starter by pulling it DOWN and forward.
>It's
>a 5 minute job to remove the starter!
>I was really puzzled about the requirement to remove the dizzy and all
>this
>stuff as stated in both the Bentley and Haynes once I'd actually done
>it. Is
>this some old sham to make it sound harder than it really in order to
>keep
>the mechanics in the money? ;)
>
>Dan
>73 B
 Dan
 On the 1275 Spridget, I've found it's a bit easier to get the starter
out when the dizzy is  removed first, as this starter comes out the top.
Removing the dizzy makes manuvering it about a lot simpler.
  But I agree, on the B, the starter is the only thing you need to
unbolt. Of course I usually manage to drop it on my chest or head when it
slips out of my greasy hand.
(maybe I should take to wearing my Bell when doing starter removals?)
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget