Why do Miata's have their tops up?

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Why do Miata's have their tops up?
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 23:21:49 -0400
Some time ago someone mentioned on the list that Miata drivers always
have their tops up.  I got to watching for this and found it usually to
be true.  I don't know if they are air conditioned but I've seen Miata's
with black tops up on 95+ cloudless days here in Atlanta.  Now those
folks cannot be comfortable.  They gotta be sweatin' like bandits in
there.  I figure they must pick their noses or something and that is why
they have their tops up.  That's one thing I learned - if I'm gonna dig
for nose oysters - better take the GN with black tinted windows rather
than the MGA.  Maybe they are all ugly (or have ugly people in the
passenger seat).  They can't be much uglier than some of us ol' MGA
jocks.  Inquiring minds want to know -  Why are the tops always up on
Miatas?  Is this an Atlanta phenomena or universal?

-ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National