Re: Clutch and U-Joint Help needed - Urgent

To: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch and U-Joint Help needed - Urgent
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 16:29:50 +0000
Chris Delling wrote:

> U-Joints(Maybe?):  Does the following sound like a u-joint going bad?  Only
> noticable at low R.P.M (i.e. 1500 or so), when you stomp on the gas - like
> some have described to test for pinging due to too much advance.  Noise
> seems to be eminating under the mid section of the car - not under the
> bonnet.  Higher pitch "clicking" or "ticking" - sounds like a diesel engine
> clattering - too high a frequency to be a per rev effect.  Cannot hear it
> when accelerating at higher R.P.M.  U-joints have less than 15K miles on
> them.  Does this sound like the needle bearings in the U-Joint going bad?

This sounds exactly like my V8.  For a while I would get a click (or clink)
under
the mid-section of the car under acceleration (not necessarily violent) in the
lower gears.  Checked the prop-shaft nuts and they were less than tight.
"A-ha",
thought, but I was wrong.  But the clinking seemed to go away on its own
(always
a bad sign).  Several thousand miles later it has started clinking again, much
worse, and there is a roughness and vibration at low speeds.  Get under the car
to find one of the needle bearings on the front UJ is orange with rust, but
more
significantly, the prop-shaft was wobbling while rotating, but I cannot move
any
of the joints while it is stationary.  Closer inspection shows that the yoke on
the prop-shaft is off centre in relation to the yoke on the O/D output shaft,
towards the 'orange' needle bearing.

My V8 parts man doesn't do UJ kits, but does supply a complete prop-shaft for
UKP110.  About double the price, but I will be getting a new sliding joint,
three
grease nipples and a balanced unit as well as much less hassle fitting it.

PaulH.