Center Cross Member

Subject: Center Cross Member
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 98 23:30:26 UT
I am in the process of taking out the rusty floors on my 69 Beater - I intend
to replace the floors and perhaps the sills if needed (keeping my fingers
crossed but I'm expecting the worst).  About 1/4 of the center cross member,
on the driver's side end) is pretty mangled - not rusty but crushed - looks
like it's been jacked up a few times too many.  Anyway, my question is can it
be patched or do I have to replace the entire cross member.  The Porter book
makes no reference here and the Practical Classics MGB Restoration book seems
to imply that it can be patched.  Any help, guidance, anecdotes or references
will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dr. Doug