Re: Center Cross Member

To: doug russell <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Center Cross Member
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:55:03 -0500

doug russell wrote:

> I am in the process of taking out the rusty floors on my 69 Beater - I intend
> to replace the floors and perhaps the sills if needed (keeping my fingers
> crossed but I'm expecting the worst).  About 1/4 of the center cross member,
> on the driver's side end) is pretty mangled - not rusty but crushed - looks
> like it's been jacked up a few times too many.  Anyway, my question is can it
> be patched or do I have to replace the entire cross member.  The Porter book
> makes no reference here and the Practical Classics MGB Restoration book seems
> to imply that it can be patched.  Any help, guidance, anecdotes or references
> will be appreciated.

Moss/VB both sell the patch panel (I believe a full crossmember can be had, VB
rings a bell as the supplier). The patch panel should suffice in most cases. I
replaced both sides on mine, the drivers side rusted away, the passenger side
was
crushed.

Replacement consists of cutting the old piece back to the where it "T's" into
the
rails. You could butt-weld to the rail, but I cut the old piece back to solid
metal (about an inch away from the rail) and formed that to fit inside the new
piece and welded to that and the rail.
Pick up the GT version of the Practical Classics MGB Restoration book. It covers
this in more detail (color too).

As far as the sills, as much as you probably don't want to hear it, do them now
as long as everything is apart. You'll need to eventually and it probably needs
it as well. Check your rear spring hanger mounts as well. The floor pan sits on
top of them, mine were both badly rusted through. GT resto book also covers this
nicely.

Good luck

Jeff
'70 MGB