Re: First-time welder!

To: "Mike Lishego" <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: First-time welder!
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:18:13 -0500
From: Mike Lishego <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>

> I'll be learning on oxy-acetalyne torches.  How does this skill
>translate to mig welding?  I'm thinking about getting a welder if my
>'art' goes well...(Actually, I'd like to repair the crack of doom on
>my MGB doors, but the art prof wouldn't smile upon that one!)

Once you've mastered torch welding, you will learn that if you stick your
finger on a fresh weld you will encounter discomfort. This translates
directly to mig welding. Not much else does, though.

You can do anything with a torch that you can do with a mig, however, and a
whole lot more. If I was in an art class with access to a torch, I'd spend
some time learning how to bend and form metal with heat. Also, there are any
number of small metal parts (brackets and such) that can be
repaired/buttressed with torch welding and the heat warpage ain't such a big
factor. You should also learn how to cut with a torch.

You learn a lot more finesse with a torch than with mig welding.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, Back from the North
"When money talks, it usually says 'Bend Over.'"