OT-Powerball......a test for the more fragile engine

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: OT-Powerball......a test for the more fragile engine
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:12:21 EDT
All this powerball stuff is an irritant of the first order! - for a week
now, there have been monumental traffic jams in connecticut as well as
queues at EVERY gas station, paper shop or supermarket, mounds of litter
everywhere and every towns main street looks like woodstock without The
Who! - not to mention the armada of small boats arriving at every marina
along the coast, banging into one another and chucking garbage into the
docks.. It has made driving 3 miles for lunch a 40 minute one way trip
and today damn near cost me the last vestiges of life in my 72s coaxed
and cosseted(but wafer thin) main bearings. !
driving home this evening i drew up to the end of a queue of cars at a
spot where there is often a lot of volume so i wasnt concerned until i
had stood there for 20 minutes at which time the temperature gauage was
hovering just below the max and the (still) out of tune carbs were
beating with more harmonics than Beverly Sills!
After another 20 minutes and a crawl of maybe half a mile the engine was
starting to clatter so i pulled off to let it cool down - at which point
a guy going the other way called out to the line of traffic
"Turn around! theres a fight broken out at the gas station - cops
everywhere!"......
It took another 40 minutes for the engine to cool by which time the
traffic had sped up to a whopping 5 or 10 mph, I never saw the offending
'oiks being carted off but i hope it rains on their birthdays!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster (over-warmed)