Re: MGB Tubes

To: skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca
Subject: Re: MGB Tubes
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:12:20 EDT
On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:06:41 -0700 Skye Poier <skye@hoth.ffwd.bc.ca>
writes:
>Word on the street is that Art Pfenninger said:
>>      I've tried the jack but never had much luck, the bead needs
>to be broken before the tire iron will work, you can't break the bead
with
>the iron. The liquid soap is a necessity most of the time.
You can break the bead with the irons, I know because I did it, before
>i even knew what "breaking the bead" was or that it needed to be done :)
>
>I will say this though, its bloody hard work. Try the other methods
>first.

I'm a little bemused by this thread......a few weeks back when i was
picking over the myriad spare wires in the basement to decide on the ones
to restore I tried removing a tyre from one using tyre irons, a stanley
knife, a hacksaw, a BFH and every expletive i could think of - miserable
job, and after forty five minutes or so i moved on to something more
productive!
So i loaded the chosen five in the back of my parts hauler and took them
to the
nearest big chain  tyre place (Town Fair Tire) - it took the guy ten
minutes to take the tyres off using their machine, did no damage to them
and the guy wouldnt even charge me for it !(gave him ten bucks for a beer
or two) as he said he didnt have a computer code for the job!
This job goes into the same category as oil changes as far as im
concerned.....why bother? plus, like oil, you dont have the problem of
disposing of used tyres.

I did buy the new tyres from Town Fair (well it wouldve been rude not to)
but had them mounted and balanced by a friend of mine who has a proper
wire balancer - the price for this was fixing the wiper motor in his Jag!

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster