Vacuum Leak...77B -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, tomm@ti.com
Subject: Vacuum Leak...77B -Reply
From: William Schooler <WSchooler@hcfa.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:33:05 -0400
Tom,

Go to http://www.universitymotorsltd.com/ and read what John Twist has to say in
his article "Those Damn Strombergs".  You'll find it in the "Let's Get
Technical" section.  Funny enough, he makes a comment about the necessity of
having the air cleaner in place for the carb to function correctly.  Also
contains a very good checklist for looking for all possible vacuum leaks,
including the brake booster system previously mentioned in this thread.

Bill

>>> Tom McLaughlin <tomm@ti.com> 07/29/98 03:12pm >>>
Help.

Still having problems and I don't know what to do next...to review, the car
used to run fine, but started losing power especially at the low end and
then eventually I started to hear a ssssssssssssssss by the carb (ZS).  I
replaced the diaphram in the top chamber which had a tear in it...still no
good.  I took off the carb, heat inductor, and the plate that holds the
heat shield.  I cleaned everything, stripped the gaskets off of everything,
repainted the plate (as I had to use a moto-tool to get the gaskets off)
and replaced everything with new gaskets and a new heat shield as the other
one was gone.  All of the hoses seem "fine".  I have not rebuilt the carb,
but I don't want to unless I know that is the problem...if that is possible.

The car will start and almost idle about 800 RPM.  I can open the throttle
all the way and it will keep the car running, but it does not rev up at
all.  I can still hear a ssssssssssssssssssssss and it seems to be worse
than before.  However, it seems to be coming from around the engine on the
right side of the carb and manifold.  Up toward where the heater motor is.
I have sprayed carb cleaner (probably in too many places) and cannot find
the leak.  After running for about 5 minutes, there is a cloud of gas vapor
under the hood and I have to turn the car off or I'll pass out.

I love working on the car, but I just don't know what to do next so I'd
like at least some guidance from some of you.  Even if it is not the
problem, at least I'll have consulted.  Could it be the gasket under the
valve cover (not sure what it is called) or the head gasket or am I totally
going in the wrong direction...???

Also, I have not put the air cleaner assembly back on while I've been
running these tests...is that a bad thing and can it cause the problem to
be worse....

Stuck and confused, but not sure I want to run the car right now in the
Texas heat (averaging 102.1 degrees F in Dallas during July)

Tom
77B