Re: Rear wheel drum--very stuck

To: borisri@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Rear wheel drum--very stuck
From: Carol <car@intersatx.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 00:01:32 -0500
HI, Rich....

I haven't encountered the aftermarket shoe problem... yet.

At the suggestion of George Merryweather, I took my shoes (brake shoes!) to
SA Brake and Clutch and had them relined for about $15. Guaranteed fit!

Just a thought....

Carol

(And that was the beginning of a love affair between Darlin' and those
guys. They also press bearings, and redo other parts VERY REASONABLY and
usually within a couple of hours. I doubt that the Christmas cookies I
delivered hurt our relationship any, either!!)

At 11:56 PM 7/30/98 +0100, Richard A. Boris wrote:
>Hi Everyone:
>
>The most likely cause of this stuck brake drum problem is the shoes
>themselves. Last year I had to grind the heels of the brake shoes to fit
>the drum. I guess there are inferior aftermarket shoes. Some of our club
>members had the same problem. I recently replace the entire banjo axle
>on my 67B with brand new Lockheed brake shoes. There is a significant
>difference. I also matched the aftermarket shoes to a set of 30 year old
>shoes, the aftermarket are significantly longer. Also it is quite
>possible that these shoes should be "arc'd" to the drum contour; but I
>don't know it this process is still being performed by auto parts
>store's.
>
>                               Thanks: Rich Boris, MG Car Club-Long Island
>Centre

...now running Windows '98, better known as "MacIntosh '87 "