Re: Brake Caliper,71 mgb

To: JstBob@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper,71 mgb
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 17:52:21 -0400
At 05:24 PM 8/5/98 EDT, JstBob@aol.com wrote:

>Am I correct in my thinking that it is time to replace the calipers when one

>locks up. My left caliper has locked up twice. I comes lose after I stop and

>pump the brakes a few times.

Bob, I've heard that some rubber brake hoses will collapse internally and
create a pseudo check valve.  When you hit your brakes, the caliper works
properly, but after you withdraw your foot from the brake pedal, the hose
insides move and stop the release of the pressure.

>I have a price on calipers locally of $40, which seems very cheap when

>compared to Victoria British. I wonder about the quality?? What is the going

>rate among others on the list?

I would suggest you get a quality, OEM-spec rebuild kit and rebuild that
caliper.  It shouldn't be too difficult.  $40 doesn't sound unreasonable, and
it is likely a rebuilt caliper.  I can't really comment on quality.  It really
depends on the person who rebuilt the caliper.  If they're really incompetent,
then who knows.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.