Re: Fuel Additive Concerns

To: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Additive Concerns
From: David Lynes <cdlynes@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 00:09:06 -0400
Interesting that you brought up plastic lines melting... The first time I
rebuilt
my SU's in the 73 Midget, I used fuel lines included in the rebuild kit from
VB...
Several days later, while driving through town, the smell of gas was so strong,
pulled over in a bank parking lot to trace where it was coming from, and found
both plastic lines were soft and coming apart, spewing raw gas all over my hands
when I found it (in the dark).  An hour and a few inches of vacuum line later, I
was back in business.  But could have been disastrous, right above the hot
exhaust
manifold... No fuel additives that I knew of.  Premium gas.

By the way, vacuum line is one of the things in my emergency kit, along with a
spare accelerator cable (K Mart bicycle brake cable works in a pinch) and other
such things.

David Lynes
78 B
73 Midget