RE: Lead substitutes, Canadian fuel, customs

To: "'Bill Eastman'" <william.eastman@medtronic.com>,
Subject: RE: Lead substitutes, Canadian fuel, customs
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:20:21 -0500
Bill=20
If you drive a few miles south of work on Central Ave to Hennepin and go =
left, cross over the freeway, and go about three blocks you'll find an =
ancient gas station on the left, "The Ravic Company." It's a greasy old =
place that still repairs things, very picturesque. Remember the =
description awhile back of the place that sold helicoil kits? Well, =
Arlan's brother probably works here.*  There is a sign out front during =
the summer, it reads "We Have Regular (leaded)."  It is dispensed from =
the last pump on the left as you are facing the station.  Pump it =
yourself, pay inside, no digital readouts or anything, just tell them =
how much. They aren't even particular about what you put it in although =
the sign on the pump has all the "pre-1975, Collector vehicle" =
restrictions listed.=20

As for Canada, I had difficulty finding anything above 90 octane in some =
of the remote areas North of Minnesota. I have no memory of leaded or =
not (I wasn't in the MG.)    =20

If you have the other collector plate. I'd bring it with me and a bit of =
safety wire, and if they gave you a hard time at the border you could =
temporarily wire the thing to the hand-crank hole in the A's front =
bumper. A whole bunch of MGs went to Thunder Bay last year, I don't =
remember anyone saying they had a problem, most were probably running =
two plates though.=20

The Minnesota rule is that "street rods" (they get their own plate) and =
"collector" cars (over 25 years old and any orphan marque - I wonder if =
that will apply to Geos now) are only required to display one plate - =
all other cars need two. either this rule is little-known or very new =
because all of us collector types are surprised and happy to learn this. =
Removing the front plate is all the rage this summer. We *hope* your =
basic Fridley cop is up on this so we can avoid annoying traffic =
stops.** They, whoever "they" are, issue collector plates in sets of =
two, so there exists all sorts of potential for abuse in running two =
cars on one set.=20

Phil Vanner
Mk1 Midget - two plates, for a few more days anyway.
=20
* see archives
** see archives again =20