crank/cam timing??

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: crank/cam timing??
From: Ivan Lawton <w3ike@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:26:51 -0700 (PDT)
I have a 79 B that has a very low time 18V engine that has a miss
starting at 2200 RPM to 4200 RPM.  The engine will not rev over 4200
under load.  No load, no miss and redline is easily attainable.
Anyway, after changing the entire electrical system, intake/exhaust
manifold, carburetor and fuel delivery system  with no change I
decided that the engine might be miss timed so I tried a test from the
MGB Register page.  The test indicated that when the #2 valve just
started to open the timing mark was at 5 degrees before TDC and not at
TDC.  Well I thought that was it so I disassembled the front of the
engine and checked the customary marks ect.  With everything dead nuts
“on”, that is all keyways and sprocket marks are dead “on” this engine
shows TDC to be 5 degrees before TDC!

        My question is how can this happen and can a rebuilt engine with
probably both the head and block planed and an older profile cam
exhibit this anomaly or is the engine really miss timed?

        Thanks for your help,

                IKE Lawton       Annapolis,  MD.