Re: Cheque(sp?) Book Restorations

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Cheque(sp?) Book Restorations
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 07:16:08 -0700
Robert Allen wrote:

> neil.cairns@virgin.net wrote:
>
> > And, I went to GAYDON today, the BMHIT Rover MG gathering. It was
> > superb. However, I found a chap of a type I did not know existed. He
> > told me of the rebuild of his immaculate 1966 red MGB Roadster. It did
> > not take long to realise he had farmed out EVERYTHING, simply writing a
> > cheque for each task. <snip>
>
> > Has anyone coined the phrase " cheque-book-restoration" yet, or can I
> > register it?
>
> Hey Neil, what's you point?
>
> I love guys who do check book restorations. Those are the sources for my
> 'drivers' a half dozen years later. I used to get a little uppity about the
> folks whose involvement was merely monetary but now I thank them for their
> involvement.
>
> Through them we get a lot of leads on vendors and craftsman that we can use
> every once in awhile. Also, these guys keep the aforementioned in business.
> There is no way I will consider a rusty car for a driver but, occasionally,
> one of the moneyed folks do and put a junk-yard car back in circulation.
>
> I tend to do all my own work on my cars. That is why I call it a hobby. I
> would like to have a really nice car and a lot of the people I run with do.
> But the average guy can't do a first class paint job or afford a lot of
> chrome restoration, leather interiors, etc. And if we have enough money we
> never seem to have enough time. Wouldn't it be cool if your only involvement
> in the hobby was minor tune-ups and seat time going to and from events?
>
> For those who have the desire to own a nice old car and don't have the time,
> inclination, or desire to tackle the job themselves, then, by all means,
> drop the heap off at a restorer and trailer it to the show for a year or two
> until they get bored. I'd be more than happy to make you a DPO!
>
> The more people into the old car hobby, especially those spending money, the
> more cars and parts sources are available for the rest of us. The only
> downside is that gatherings can attract a disproportionate number of
> lawyers, doctors, and CEO types.
>
> So the next time you see one of these checkbook restorations, stiffen the
> spine a little and, as long as you can stand it, question the fellow on
> parts sources, painters, interior workers, etc. You can learn quite a bit
> and he might think of you when his interests move on!
>
> Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva (the good one is a #3)
> "To make a small fortune in collectable cars, it is best to start with a
> large one."

Surely half the fun is sorting out the restoration? You get to know your
car that way.

If I could afford to PAY, then why not just buy a modern replica? It
would be more reliable, easy to get parts, boring, monotinous, have
modern mechanicals, but look old.

I accept the trader needs these people, but try to talk about their car
to them and they have no idea. Of course not everyone can have all the
skills necessary for a rebuild, but I admire those who TRY. ( My
paintwork is terrible, the cutting paste manufacturers love me......)

Neil