Re: Davenport, IA Show, Aug. 22/23, PART 1

To: mtooze@tan.unl.edu (Marcus Tooze), mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Davenport, IA Show, Aug. 22/23, PART 1
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:41:31
At 06:30 PM 8/10/98 -0500, Marcus Tooze wrote:
>I too would like some info. I also went last year. I believe there is an
autox this year on saturday the 22nd too....

Well, this is not my job, but since people are asking, I shall attempt to
relate all the pertinent information.

HEARTLAND BRITISH AUTOFEST, 8/22/98 - 8/23/98

The Quad City British Auto Club invites you to a weekend of fun activities
involving your British car.  On Saturday there will be an autocross, a
scenic drive, and evening picnic on the banks of the Mississippi River,
with door prizes and other fun things to do.  Sunday will be the auto show
in the historic village of East Davenport.  Many of the pubs and other
shops in the village will be open.

The Village of East Davenport was established in the pre-civil war 1850's.
Today the old fire station, blachsmith shop, Christie Mansion and Coulthart
Cottage still stand on East 11th Street.  Visitors can stroll the car show
and historic streets of the village in search of history, a cool drink or
"Best of Show".  A number of nationally recognized artists studios and
galleries are located in the Village as are craft shops, deli and food
establishments.

  Autoshow registration by 8/21/98, $10 first car, $5 each additional car.
  Autoshow registration after 8/21/98, $15 first car, $5 each additional car.
  Autocross registration, $15 per driver
  Saturday picnic buffet, $10 (each person I presume), limited to the first
100 people, and reservation must be made no later than 8/19/98.  Choice of
3 meats, 3 side dishes, desert & beverage.
  QCBAC annual dues (optional), membership & newsletter, Aug 98 - Aug 99, $10.

For registration, they want name, address, city, state, zip, telephone,
miles traveled to event, and make - model - class of each car to be
entered.  Also note if you will take part in the autocross and/or the
scenic drive.  Send information and check to:
  Quad City British Auto Club
  4828 47th Avenue
  Moline, IL  61265

If you want to get in on the autocross, it would be a good idea to
pre-register.  If they do not have 15 entries by 8/19/98 the event will be
cancelled (and you would be notified).

Schedule Of Events:

  Saturday August 22
  9:00-10:00 am     Autocross registration - Rock Island Arsenal
  10:00an - 2:00pm  Autocross timed runs - Rock Island Arsenal
  5:00pm            Scenic drive, starts at Quad Times Bldg parking lot,
Davenport, IA
  6:00pm            Picnic buffet - Eastern end of Butterworth Parkway,
Moline, IL
  8:00pm            Social/Door Prizes

  Sunday August 23
  9:00am - Noon     Registration & car cleanup
  10:00am - 4:00pm  Show time
  12:00pm - 2:00pm  Judging
  3:00pm            Awards

Room reservations:  $61 per night (single or double) plus 12% sales tax.
You must mention Q.C. British Auto Club for this rate.  Any reservations
after 7/31 will be on a space avalable basis.  Call: The Blackhawk Hotel
(319) 323-2900 or 800-553-1173.

Auto show site:  Lindsy Park, in the Village of East Davenport (Mound
Street & East 11th Street, Davenport, Iowa)

  Judgiung classes - tenative to registration
A.  MG T-Series
B.  MGA
C.  MGB/C Chrome Bumper
D.  MGB Rubber Bumper
E.  MGB/C GT
F.  TR2, TR3
G.  TR4, TR250
H.  TR6
I.  TR7, TR8
J.  Spitfire, GT6
K.  Austin Healey 100-4 - 3000
L.  Midget & Sprite
M.  Mini (all)
N.  Small Sedan (up to 4 cylinders)
O.  Jaguar XK 120-150
P.  Jaguar E-Type (XKE)
Q.  Jaguar XH6, XJ12, XJS
R.  Large Sedans (6 cylinder & up)
S.  Competition
T.  Sunbeam, Alpine & Tiger
U.  Lotus
V.  Pre/Post War Special Interest
W.  Modified, Kitcar, Replicar (completely British only)
X.  Pre.Post War Bikes
Y.  Diamond In The Rough Class

For additional information, contact Naoni Swanson 309-764-9513 (W) 0r
308-764-1423 (H)

AUTOCROSS GENERAL RULES:
  1.  Each competitor must have a valid driver's license and be registered
as an official entrant.  Passengers are not allowed.
  2.  Seat belts and DOT//SNELL 1985 or later approved helmets are
required.  Loaner helmets will be available.
  3.  Each car must pass a safety tech inspection.  All cars must be free
of loose items.  (Be sure the battery is fastened down securely, #1 reason
for tech failure).
  4.)  No entrant will be allowed to run in more than one class.  Class
will be determined by the entrant, using the classes listed below.  Class
must be determined at time of registration.  Class will be verified by the
tech inspector to final tech approval.
  5.  The course will be available for walking - no practice laps will be
allowed.
  6.  The course will be marked by pylons.  A two second penalty will be
assessed for each pylon displaced and a ten second penalty for each gate
missed.
  7.  Final class position will be determined by each entrant's single
fastest timed run.
  8.  Cars will run in heats.  Three runs are planned for each class.  A
fourth run might be possible depending on time available.
  9.  No alcoholic beverages may be consumed by drivers, non-drivers, or
workers anywhere on the premises.

Autocross Classes:
  Class A  0 - 1500 cc 4 cylinder
  Class B  1501 - 2000cc 4 cylinder
  Class D  All 6 & 8 cylinders
  Class E  Ladies
  Class F  Prepared and Modified cars

For additional information, contact Corky Swanson Jr. 309-764-9513 (W) 0r
308-764-1423 (H)