Alignment of Planets and other Phenomena

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Alignment of Planets and other Phenomena
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:11:36 -0500
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Put the volt meter on the battery terminals, directly on the battery
> terminals, not on the cable ends.  With the ignition switch off, the idle
> battery in good condition should read 12.6 volts.  <snip>

Hmmm. I've always thought automotive batteries consisted of cells with each
cell producing 2.2 volts when in optimum condition. 12 volt batteries have 6
cells and 6 volt batteries have 3 cells.

So, am I to understand that 2.2 volts times 6 cells is 12.6 volts?

> Start the engine and check the voltage at the battery again.  You should
> see an increase in voltage with the generator charging, at least 1 volt
> higher, nominally 14 volts.

I see. So 12.6 volts + 1 volt is nominally 14 volts?

> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude

Could it be?

And Dan Masters got his coils in a vice, too.

Wow. It's been quite a week.

Furthermore, I can't wait to hear the next chapter from Morrison on how a 45
degree, single-crankpin V-twin can have a single spark hit TDC on the
compression stroke of one cylinder while the other fires at TDC on the exhaust
stroke.

Hint: think Bavarian.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT (broken), '75TR6 (parked with a 16.75 volt
alternator)
"Aristotle was famous for knowing everything.  He taught that the brain exists
merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking.  This
is true only of certain persons." -- Will Cuppy