Re: Alignment of Planets and other Phenomena

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Alignment of Planets and other Phenomena
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 02:59:17
At 12:11 AM 8/11/98 -0500, Robert Allen wrote:
>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>> Put the volt meter on the battery terminals, directly on the battery
terminals, not on the cable ends.  With the ignition switch off, the idle
battery in good condition should read 12.6 volts.  <snip>

>Hmmm. I've always thought automotive batteries consisted of cells with
each cell producing 2.2 volts when in optimum condition. 12 volt batteries
have 6 cells and 6 volt batteries have 3 cells.

>So, am I to understand that 2.2 volts times 6 cells is 12.6 volts?

Touche', Bob.  Appearantly my calculator skipped a digit and recorded 2.1
instead of 2.2 before multiplying.  (He'll buy that, won't he?)  The
correct number should be 13.2 volts.  And of course if you still have two
6-volt batteries in your car that would be for both batteries together in
series.  For one 6-volt battery it should be 6.6 volts.

>> Start the engine and check the voltage at the battery again.  You should
see an increase in voltage with the generator charging, at least 1 volt
higher, nominally 14 volts.

>I see. So 12.6 volts + 1 volt is nominally 14 volts?

Uh, only if you already forgot your first correction (have you registered
as an OF yet?.  13.2 + 1 is a nominal 14 volts (rounded off) minimum, and I
say nominal because it could legitamately be anything between 13.5 and 15.5
under various conditions.

>> Barney Gaylord
>> 1958 MGA with an attitude
>
>Could it be?

Yep.  Li'l old me.

>And Dan Masters got his coils in a vice, too.

I'm still chuckling over all the coil discussion I instigated with a little
slightly misleading half truth.  (Hee, hee, hee.)  I'm reserving further
comment until everyone with an interest has a chance to take a whack at it.
 So far it's been quite interresting.

>Furthermore, I can't wait to hear the next chapter from Morrison on how a
45 degree, single-crankpin V-twin can have a single spark hit TDC on the
compression stroke of one cylinder while the other fires at TDC on the
exhaust stroke.

>Hint: think Bavarian.

So says Mr. Allen with a well chewed foot in his mouth.  That "45 degree,
single-crankpin V-twin" would actually be a 72 degree V engine, as
originally  derived from 2/5 of a 5-cylinder radial aircraft engine.  And I
believe Mr. Morrison was referring to the 4-cylinder V engine that does
indeed present two cylinders at TDC at the same time.  It's just that the
other two do not hit TDC 180 degrees later.  (Did I get that right?)

>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT (broken)

Yup.  Sounds like a Bob Allen car all right.

>'75TR6 (parked with a 16.75 volt alternator)

And the best place for it, too.

Cheers,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude